Thursday 25 February 2010

Pollocks Toy Museum

I am getting so nostalgic huh? My last post was about childhood, and now, I am going to write about my visit to the Pollocks Toy Museum!!!!



They claim to be the last Victorian Toy Theatre printers. Check out all the cardboard theaters behind me!


Here's what you see looking through the small hole. I find it really fascinating! Different layers of cardboard managed to give an illusion of 3D effect.


Toy theatres are like TVs in the old days. Imagine a roomful of people fixing their eyes in a small cardboard made thingy, with characters sliding in and out of different scenes. I really want to watch one someday!


The stairs are filled with exibits of old board and card games.



There was this too:

I have no idea what you call it, but just put the strip of photos in the cylinder, rotate it at a good speed, and we see motion in the photos! Something like a flipbook, get it?


This is the very first version of Jack in a box.... It didn't start out as a real box with a creepy clown inside, instead, it was just an illusion trick!


Something interesting. Snakes and ladders is actually a religious Hindu game. Do bad deeds and you end up going down a snake head to hell. Do good and climb up the ladders to divinity!!


Loads of freaky dolls that girls like to play with (why??) :


The one on the right looks like an overweight grown man dressed in a petticoat.


Burnt victim?? Gotta love the hair.


Woho! Bare naked ladies!!


Teddy bear with a telephone.


Doll house. You prob can't see from here, but these are really small toys. The red doll on the bottom right corner is smaller than my little finger.






Ok, this was taken in the toy shop. We were reading this children's book about "What if I were an elephant?"







Well.....






Haha!





Outside the museum.






LAST PHOTO!


GET READY FOR THIS!!!




























HAHAHA!


0 comments:

About Me

Currently a student in London. Loves travelling, day-dreaming, pigging out on good food and dancing. I think one of the greatest blessings of life is to wake up in the morning without an alarm clock. Having a great time means a deep and meaningful conversation with friends. Absolutely hopeless in networking, words doesn't come out if I am pressured to talk. But if I feel like talking, you would wish you never had ears ;P

Something else to read

What's on your mind?

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP